Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Bake to Stay Awake

T his mantra "bake to stay awake" has been running through my head quite often lately. Maybe I have been having more cookie cravings... more likely I am just much more tired than I usually am. That and my stress baking habit has produced more cookies than we can handle this fall. This afternoon I would do anything for a nap. Instead I am making Peanut Butter Blossom cookies.



Last week I bought candy for my trick or treaters. Instead of saving it for them, I promptly made Reese cup chocolate chip cookies, Hersey kiss witch hats, and since there are just a few pieces of candy left, I will make them into peanut butter blossom cookies. Poor trick or treaters. I am sure they don't really need any more candy anyway, right? I have surprisingly not done anything with the caramel yet, maybe because I love it so much I just want to eat it plain.


The recipe for Peanut Butter Blossoms is super simple.

  • Unwrapped Chocolate Kisses
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup Peanut Butter
  • 1/3 cup white sugar (plus some extra to roll the balls in)
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

First, mix together the shortening and peanut butter. Next, add both kinds of sugar and beat until fluffy (don't skip this step - this is the number one trick I learned when I worked in a bakery - the fluffing step is key!).


Dough Fluffing Action Shot

Add the egg, milk, and vanilla and beat again. Lastly, dump in the flour, baking soda, and salt (gradually of course, wouldn't want to create a flour cloud in your kitchen by dumping it all in at once). After the flour is added, you want to be careful not to over mix. Over mixing at this point would cause the cookies to come out tough. I usually get my dough almost all the way mixed, then mix the final bit with a spoon.


Roll up the dough into balls, roll them in some more sugar, and place them on your cookie tray.








Bake for 8 and 1/2 minutes (or 10 if you like your cookies a little less gooey and soft than I do) at 375 degrees.

When they come out of the oven, let them cool for about 10 seconds, then plop an unwrapped kiss right in the middle and press down a little. Viola! What a beautiful and delicious cookie.




What about you all? What is your motivation for baking?

Recipe originally from here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...