Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Master Bath of My Dreams


It's my favorite time of year, Pinterest challenge time over on Young House Love and Bower Power (this time teaming up with Decor and the Dog and The Remodeled Life! Not only is it a great excuse to spend some time DIYing, but it kicks my butt to get something done I've been wanting to do.


The master bath has been a long slow process of one project at a time, starting with painting the trim and cabinet white, making a shower curtain, hanging a new mirror and light fixture, updating the electrical switches, making wall art, and painting the walls. Now the finishing touches - a new faucet and stripes!

The pin I chose is actually one from Young House Love's blog, a tutorial on painting horizontal stripes in the bathroom. See it here.


I started by measuring the whole height of the wall and dividing by 7. I wanted 7 total stripes so I would only have to paint the middle 3! Each stripe ended up being 13.3 inches (total wall = 93 inches). I measured from above the baseboard to the ceiling.

Then I marked the wall from the ceiling down with a pencil. I taped across my pencil marks to make the stripes. YHL does a nice tutorial here if you want more details. Then of course, I ran out of tape. Which put a pretty big halt in the project. :-)

So I got more (and better) tape - I noticed later that the green tape did a better job keeping paint from running under it than the yellow tape did. Then it was easy - 2 coats of gray making sure to pull the tape off while the 2nd coat was still wet.



 
 
I did have a little bit of touching up to do (see tape issue above) but it was mostly user error. I did not do a great job making sure the tape was stuck really well to the wall in the corners and that was my main mistake.

 
The beautiful stripes on the wall also inspired me to go out and buy the last couple of items we needed for the bathroom makeover to be complete: a new rug (chevron of course) and a little plant for the back of the toilet. I wish it was real, but the bathroom has no windows so it would surely die. Nevertheless, I thought the bathroom needed something alive looking in it.



I am beyond happy with the results. I keep telling my husband I am just going to go hang out in the bathroom. While it was nearly the last living space I made any changes in, it was well worth the wait. Maybe patience is the key to good design?

Here is a (terrifying) look at the before. So sad looking! It is hard to believe it is the same room.



As I am writing this post I am realizing almost none of the projects in this room have appeared on the blog, so let me tell you about a few of them. I found the mirror at Goodwill last summer for $8. My sister and I each bought one - we think they must have come from a hotel. It was an ugly gold brown and I spray painted it white. I had been on the lookout for a faucet for a long time but didn't want to take the $70 hit it costs to get a new one. My father in-law happened to just have this one in his garage! He even came for a visit to install it.

New Faucet


This light fixture was from the Restore and cost me around $10. It was again an ugly gold. I spray painted it white and now it is beautiful! Special thanks to Dad and T.J. for installing the light and the mirror. I love the scrolly detail of the light fixture with the lines of the mirror. Finally, the shower curtain is made from some of the fabric I picked up at Mood NYC this summer.


And so this concludes the Pinterest challenge. By far the best one yet! See my previous Pinterest challenge projects by clicking the following links: (button wreath) (clay earrings) (flower ring) and (bee running costume).

10 comments:

Katie said...

Absolutely beautiful! Come paint some stripes somewhere in my house!

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

Love the gray and white stripes. Of course I am partial because I just did the same in my nursery.

michelle@decorandthedog said...

Ooo, very nice! It really is hard to believe that was the same room. Love the shower curtain too!

The Remodeled Life said...

Oh my gosh, I want to paint stripes in our hallway so bad - this is awesome! Totally making me want to jump up and start painting right now haha! PS - we have that same faucet :).

Ruthie said...

I really love the look! I'm thinking, where can I add stripes at my house!!! Great Job

betsy said...

I love your mirror. Nice paint choice.

Sam | Away She Went said...

I love the stripes! I've been planning to paint stripes in our guest bedroom for at least a year, but have been too lazy to tape them out. I should have done it for my Pinterest project too. Anyway, your bathroom is gorgeous! Love the rug!

Darryl Iorio said...

What you did to your bathroom was awesome! You really go all out to make the area so beautiful, huh? I find it cool too because your faucet is quite similar with mine. I guess that type of faucet is on trend these days. Anyhow, where did you get your inspiration? Are you planning to conduct another renovation in your house? If so, I bet it will turn out into something wonderful like this!

William Gulliver said...

Your bathroom wasn’t that big, so it’s easier for you to renovate it to the way you like it. You would not find it difficult to create plans about the design because you don’t have to deal with so many details. Anyhow, I love the shower curtain you put in there. It made the area vibrant and attractive. I wonder what your next curtain will look like. ;)

Waddle Exteriors said...

You had a good choice of colors in your bathroom. You certainly know what shades will make the area vivacious. I also like the idea of putting a little plant there. It somewhat provides a relaxing atmosphere to the area. Others should try having one in their bathroom too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...