It took 4 coats to cover the shiny red that was there before. I was worried about painting over the oil-based red paint, but the man at Walmart assured me that the Glidden 2 in 1 primer and paint would do the job - and it did! Worked like a charm.
I finally got around to permanently hanging this scrolly candle/plant holder -
you can see when I painted it way back in April here.
We also put new hardware on the front door.
The old stuff was gold and ugly.
It is pretty hard to see from the road in these pictures, but in real life the porch is less dark. The door is the same color as the middle circle on my floor mat/rug - see how I made the rug here.