Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Shoes, Frills, Mannequins, and a Pinkalicious Table


My sewing room is finally functional! I have tables, an inspiration board, and of course, a shoe display. It was a lot of fun to put together too. This has been a dream for a long time, and I can't wait to start enjoying it. Here is how it came about (but first some more pictures):





The molding to make the shoe display was in the living room when we moved in. See it here.

I purchased this table at a garage sale in Kalamazoo, MI back in June for $40 thinking I may use it as my new dining room table. I thought the rectangle shape would fit better in my kitchen. I think it has found a much better place now. It also has leaves so I can pull it out for Thanksgiving.





The first few coats of "pinkalicious" turned out like this:


 While the zebra-like effect of the wood showing through was cool, it was not what I was originally going for. After about 4 more coats it was finally looking just the right pink. 


Now for my cork board project. I knew I wanted a large cork board in my sewing room to use as an inspiration board. I want to pin up magazine clippings, fabric scraps, pictures, etc. At first I imagined a nearly wall to wall size. Then I found this frame with a mirror inside. 
My sister and I were at Alice's Antiques in Lansing, MI when we spotted it. We were torn between this one and a similar one, the similar one holding a broken mirror. We talked the shop guy into switching out the mirrors so he could keep the good one and give us a heck of a deal ($20). I bought the cork board at Hobby Lobby for $11. To complete this project I needed a staple gun. T.J. and I drove over to Menards and picked up this "iWork" brand gun for $5 on sale. And wouldn't you know it, it works like a charm. 
The fabric is from Joann's and was the inspiration for the color scheme in this room. 







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...