Friday, March 16, 2012

Minty Green St. Pat's Cupcakes

I whipped up these experimental minty green cupcakes last week to bring to one of my classes when I was in charge of snack (yes, even in Ph.D. school we value snack - maybe more than ever). I appreciate holiday themed snacks - one day last semester the woman in charge of snack brought all orange foods for Halloween. I was impressed. It reminded me of my pink themed high school graduation party where all the food was pink (even a pink-white chocolate fountain) and all my guests were asked to wear pink. Over the top? Yes. Fun? At least for me it was!



I decided I wanted to make cupcakes for snack and I had white cake mix I figured I'd dye green. After reading about how to make your own shamrock shakes at home here, I thought a little minty taste might be good in my cupcakes too. I had no idea how it would turn out and was just crossing my fingers it wouldn't be horrible. I added just a dribble of peppermint extract to the cake mix and it turned out pretty great if I do say so myself. Just a little St. Patty's day kick. I swirled the green food coloring into the cake mix and went full green with the frosting. To swirl I just added the food coloring last and only mixed it a few more times, then poured the batter into the cupcake papers.




I used a piping bag and tip for the frosting - and tried to get a little creative by drawing on a couple shamrocks. The frosting is super easy to make too - 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup crisco, 4 cups of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Plus 5 or 6 drops of green food coloring. This recipe makes more than enough for one cake or 24 cupcakes. I always end up throwing out the extra (which is better than saving it like I used to and eating it before bed every night:-)).




I hope you all have a happy St. Patty's day tomorrow! My husband and I will be celebrating by watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and donning our Paddy's Pub shirts.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...