Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Big Day

 Weddings sure are a lot of work. Even if you aren't a DIYer, I feel like the planning alone is enough for every one of your family and friends to need a honeymoon! I know mine did. I have always wanted to get married in the gazebo in my family's backyard, so when choosing a place for a wedding it was a no brainer. My only request - ha, I laughed out loud as I wrote that... I had many requests - so I guess one of my requests was that the gazebo be white for my wedding.


And to have those fabulous steps built to house the wedding party during the ceremony. And my dad made it all happen. And my mom painstakingly nurtured every plant and flower in the yard all summer so that they would be pink and perfect for the wedding. My wonderful husband-to-be fulfilled another request: an arch to walk through at the end of the aisle. He built this arch for me days before the wedding (we are painting it below).



This was my view as I started down the aisle, could it be more beautiful??


My mom embroidered the ring bearer pillow for us. If you missed the picture of my ring bearer on Monday, you have to go check it out here. Too cute.


 



My brother played guitar, we kissed, and then I was whisked away through the wedding arch by my new husband. :-)


After the ceremony the guests walked through the gazebo into the fenced in back yard by the pool. We did the receiving line inside the gazebo in the shade - which worked out perfectly for the wedding party!  We had cocktail tables set up around the pool and these cute drink dispensers - one of which was South Carolina themed, and of course, pink and green like our wedding colors.
.


Then the party really started. The reception was also at my parent's house... in the side yard in a giant white scallopy tent. Just as I had imagined. I had my dad build us a custom dance floor for the middle - they had to erect the tent over it it was so big - and my brother painted our monogram in the middle. As you can see in these "before" pictures - much of this work was done within the few days before the wedding. So much of it comes together at the very end! 

 

My sister and I made these tissue paper puff balls a la Martha Stewart to hang above the dance floor. She even suffered an injury hanging them up! She claims she still has a scar. :-)


I made our table seating arrangement board by painting a giant canvas and attaching the assignments by table to it. The hardest part was deciding where everyone should sit - the fun part was making the board.



Our centerpeices were fresh flowers (my mom also nurtured these) in galvanized buckets. Our favors were punch cups with good n plenty's in them (wedding colors). We also set our bug spray and little books the guests could write their well-wishes in.


Our cake was amazing and made by the Essenhaus - if you don't know the Essenhaus, you need to!
 








We did our getaway - then I came back with my second dress - see details about that dress here. Then we danced the night away! It was amazing and well worth all the hard work. Big thanks to everyone that helped out! It really took a village.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...